#41 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Here are what Vertex have to say about their product:

http://www.vertexaqu...Pellets FAQ.pdf

Yeah good read,but for me after reading it i would question the final media volume per gallon,the thing is i keep coming across references on a tanks nitrate levels,eg the other day i found a thread on algae problems in a tank and a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about said that if a nitrate level in the tank got as low as 0 then it could lead to all sorts of pest algae problems including byopsis.For the life of me i cant remember what he said exactly but i think he was suggesting that if nitrates fell and stayed at 0 then denitrification would become low in the tank and then nutrients that would normally be taken up by denitrification would be taken up by problematic algae instead,perhaps cyano could also like this environment.His advise on nitrates in the tank for sps was 2 to 5 i think.For this same reason i think the above media volume advise is over stated and unless there is a huge fish stocking level would eventually lead to 0 nitrates and a possible remaining level of phosphates which would mean a biological imbalance that would upset corals and provide an environment for things you don't want to see in the tank,cyano being one.His post was not about bio medias but i do agree with the idea that a 0 nitrate reading is not ideal and if using a bio media and the nitrates come down to 0 it is likely that is where they will stay for some time which could lead to other problems developing at some stage within the tank,but then i could be wrong lol.

#42 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

2-5 sounds good to me. I always had cyano and I had 0 readings. Now I'm running pearls its almost gone. Will be interesting to see how easy it is keeping nitrates in that range.

What are people doing with their sump space now that the pearls are taking care of the bio load? My sump is just a big empty space now. Was thinking of down sizing the sump to allow room for a RO reservoir and generally ditch a bit of volume, less water to heat and dose with additives.

#43 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Quick pic update.

Had to remove one of the metalic green seriataporas, they grow too fast !!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#44 ANDYG

ANDYG

Tang

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

I thought I'd do a pic update 1 month on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last month the pipe on the left was just bare and white, I've since added a few corals and it has now coloured up with coraline algae. On the pearls front, my nitrates were 0 but the phosphates were between 0.16-0.36, I've since reduced the pearls from 500ml to about 250ml,, nitrates are now between 0.2-0.5 and the phosphates have come down to 0.16. Iv'e also renewed the Phosphate media, I'm aiming to get the Phosphates down but in the meantime keep the nitrates around .2 to .5

#45 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Wow!! above tanks both making great progress by the looks of the pics, So we know how many ml of pearls people are running, whats your system volume? what are you feeding? how much? and how often?

So I currently run: 300ml pearls, system volume is 550ltr approx, I feed a mix of Coral Vibrance and the D&D clam/filter feeder @ 1 heaped scoop each (small see through D&D scoop) every other day - I also feed 2 blocks gamma frozen per day, nitrate 2/3, phosphate 0 ( I don't run phos remover)

If anyone has any ideas about other useful data we could be adding please just post them up.

#46 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yeah good read,but for me after reading it i would question the final media volume per gallon,the thing is i keep coming across references on a tanks nitrate levels,eg the other day i found a thread on algae problems in a tank and a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about said that if a nitrate level in the tank got as low as 0 then it could lead to all sorts of pest algae problems including byopsis.For the life of me i cant remember what he said exactly but i think he was suggesting that if nitrates fell and stayed at 0 then denitrification would become low in the tank and then nutrients that would normally be taken up by denitrification would be taken up by problematic algae instead,perhaps cyano could also like this environment.His advise on nitrates in the tank for sps was 2 to 5 i think.For this same reason i think the above media volume advise is over stated and unless there is a huge fish stocking level would eventually lead to 0 nitrates and a possible remaining level of phosphates which would mean a biological imbalance that would upset corals and provide an environment for things you don't want to see in the tank,cyano being one.His post was not about bio medias but i do agree with the idea that a 0 nitrate reading is not ideal and if using a bio media and the nitrates come down to 0 it is likely that is where they will stay for some time which could lead to other problems developing at some stage within the tank,but then i could be wrong lol.

Yeah I agree the amounts of media stated seem to be way off but I did like the idea of seeding your bio media with a good cycling product or two.

#47 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

2-5 sounds good to me. I always had cyano and I had 0 readings. Now I'm running pearls its almost gone. Will be interesting to see how easy it is keeping nitrates in that range.

What are people doing with their sump space now that the pearls are taking care of the bio load? My sump is just a big empty space now. Was thinking of down sizing the sump to allow room for a RO reservoir and generally ditch a bit of volume, less water to heat and dose with additives.

My sump, first section: Ca reactor efluant, display water in, pearl pump and skimmer. Second section: still has algae and sand and a couple of 300w heaters. Third section: return.

The fuge is still alive and well with many pest algae thriving and some cheato too, the way I see it is any pest algae down there will be competing with algae in the display tank and my pods still have a home to go to.

#48 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Tanks looking good Andy over time the phosphates should come down m8,its good to see the media volumes being listed and the tanks nitrate and phosphate readings at these media volumes,this for me is the only way to work out how much media is needed on a system long term without under or over doing it when it comes to nutrient export.
Keep the updates coming.

#49 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Trev,tanks looking good m8,that pipe work is starting to blend in a fair bit,will be good to see how it looks once corals have grown more.

#50 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Just another thought on the process that myself and jas talked about a long time ago which is the possibility of the slow uptake of Potassium.The level of Potassium in a marine tank is often overlooked,perhaps because of the test kits used to test it being a little difficult to use which often results in it being forgotten about.It is possible to find many threads on the zeo forum that refer to the need to replace Potassium with the zeo process,not sure if its because of the bacterial uptake of the Potassium or the stones themselves that use it up.The subject of possible Potassium uptake has been raised as a possibility with this process of late which although not proven to be the case is still a possibility,i have not tested Potassium levels but think it is worth looking into,does anyone test for Potassium? and if so what is the best test kit to use?.I remember reading that some of the zeo guys used to use some of their yellow acros to indicate where their Potassium level was by means of a colour change,a yellow acro would turn green if the Potassium level went above where they wanted it,sounds a little hit and miss but worked for them.
I dose a small amount of Potassium each week with a stock solution that is made from Brightwells Potassium but would like to start to test the Potassium level to see just how much gets used within the system.

#51 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Do you not think that water changes will keep up with demand?

#52 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

So here is my plastic.

Now I know that some of you are not as imaginative nor as skillful as me and I know that some of you will feel that there is no way I can make such a complex structure but please, with a bit of time, dedication and practice, you too can have an amazing plastic reef!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Once my corals arrive I'll post up the final results.

Cheers

#53 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Do you not think that water changes will keep up with demand?

Its possible but with demand for the Potassium by corals,algae if used and if the case bacteria growth its possible Potassium levels could slowly lower,water changes will replace, buffer the Potassium level by the amount that is changed at 5 to 10%,this may work if demand for Potassium is low but if the bacteria use it then it may not be enough.
The strange thing is that Potassium often only comes up under discussion when people get a problem with some of their sps and cant work out what it is,often when Montiporas are struggling to which you will often see the quote,how is your Potassium level?.
In the past i have not looked into the importance of Potassium levels in a tank with regards to corals but will be looking into it as it may affect more than just corals if low.

#54 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

So here is my plastic.

Now I know that some of you are not as imaginative nor as skillful as me and I know that some of you will feel that there is no way I can make such a complex structure but please, with a bit of time, dedication and practice, you too can have an amazing plastic reef!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Once my corals arrive I'll post up the final results.

Cheers

This thread is growing well with new tanks giving the idea a go,look forward to seeing your new reef Blacktip.

#55 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Ok so after a Few requests I feel I should put my details on here.

Here is a quick pick of the completed article, i will add more details when I have time.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Here is a really good article discussing all three macro-nutrients, and the Potassium part may well add to the discussion.

Its from a good source and is also easy to understand.

http://www.burgerszo.../chapter 16.pdf

It confirms my theory regarding Cyano, which is nice, and proposes some interesting ideas regarding Potassium.

I also believe that Pearls and Cheato are Potassium sinks and have personal experience of Chaeto dragging it down in a pearl free environment.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#57 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Looks like a good read Tony,i will take a look tomorrow,thanks for posting it,i think Pete.twistedpro,posted a while back about the possibility of nitrate to phosphate being out of balance being a possible factor when it comes to cyano,seeing how this is often the case when phosphate levels have come right down by being removed does point to it being a possibility?.

#58 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Ben,looking forward to seeing that pipe idea of yours in the tank when its ready to go in m8.

#59 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Time for another quick update....

Been struggling a bit with some purple hair/mat algae but persevering with manual extraction, until I can find something to eat it!

Asked about the amount of Pearls I use, well when the Gyractor is not running the pearls level sits just below the highest blue collar.
Therefore, that is probably about 300ml.

Couple of pics of the progress, looks like I will have to start thinning a few corals out soon....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#60 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Cool,they are growing fast trev,looks to be going well,do you add any extra additives,ie potassium or aminos?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users