146 replies to this topic

#61 Pat101

Pat101

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi all,

Just a simple question for you guys using the pipe method for hanging corals. Obviously they are solvent weld pipes but do you use the solvent glue to stick it together ? is it ok to use.

I'm thinking of going down the same route but wouldn't want to poison the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Pat.

#62 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Good point,i think as long as it has had time to go off and cure it should be fine pat,we have been using it for years with no problems m8.

#63 ANDYG

ANDYG

Tang

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

As lindsey said as long as it's cured you won't have a problem. I used it on the base and trunk but most of the arms are just push fit so i can adjust or add to if i add any new corals.

#64 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I used PTFE tape and it's done the job. And I can remove the pipes if I need to.

#65 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Cool,they are growing fast trev,looks to be going well,do you add any extra additives,ie potassium or aminos?.

Sorry Linds missed this one.

Yes I'm now adding Potassium and also Strontium.

I have used Aminos since the start.

Quick update:

Posted Image

Posted Image

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#66 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

The tanks coming along well m8,did you see any colour improvements when you started adding the potassium?,i found a slight increase in some colours when adding it also i suspect some of the wild algae that comes in with the corals like it too esp under the 6500ks.

#67 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

The potassium has seemed to improve the colour in the "greens".

I've swapped back to 10Ks at the moment to see if the red algae will subside a bit.

Last 2 pics were under the 10K.

Got the adaptor from TMC re-threaded at work yesterday so have the Ca Reactor back on line with the V2 bottle.
Hope to hear from BOC in the next week or so.

I think I'll give the smaller media a go when I get a bottle from BOC.

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

JASON's AQUATICS

#68 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Set up the new G400 Gyractor yesterday and all seems to be running well.

I simply transferred the Pearls from the G1000 (around 300ml) to the G400.

Notice that it is fully submerged!

Without any flow:-

Posted Image

Turned on and circulating nicely:-

Posted Image

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

JASON's AQUATICS

#69 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

First time ive seen the smaller reactor working,looks like it fluidizes well,very good reactor.

#70 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

The potassium has seemed to improve the colour in the "greens".

I've swapped back to 10Ks at the moment to see if the red algae will subside a bit.

Last 2 pics were under the 10K.

Got the adaptor from TMC re-threaded at work yesterday so have the Ca Reactor back on line with the V2 bottle.
Hope to hear from BOC in the next week or so.

I think I'll give the smaller media a go when I get a bottle from BOC.

I am back on the bigger media which is where ime staying,when i have more time i will build a larger reactor and continue to use the larger harder medias of no less than 15mm in size.

#71 Mark H

Mark H

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hi all,

I am still some way from setting up my tank again having moved house, partly due to the moving company cracking my tank!

While mulling over which reactor to use for my set up and having read about the problem of stripping out all the nutrients from some tanks, it being quite hard in some cases to find the right balance between feeding and the amount of pearls to use.

what about running your pearls in a calcium reactor where they are agitated in a closed loop? If The pump in the closed loop pulls water from the tank a bit like a venturi pulls in air, by adding a tap to the outflow could you adjust the amount of water going back to your system without adjusting the movement of the pearls within the reactor because of the loop? Thus allowing you to control the amount of water that has been through the reactor so you can tune it to your tanks needs without adjusting the movement of the pearls themselves.

Sorry if I am going over old ground with this, I was just wondering if it would work?

By the way your tanks are all looking superb and really are inspiring!

Regards Mark

#72 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hi,yes it should work and from the link on RC tank dojo has put up sounds like people are having a go at doing it this way,i used reactors with a slow through rate and pumped in air to turn them over in the past but think a reactor using a pump would turn them over better,would think if designed on a calcium reactor you would need to make sure they could not clog the flow pump?,is it likely that with a slow water feed entering the reactor things like o2 may also suppress bacteria growth on the pearls?.All that said its a very good way of controlling how much these medias work on a system.

#73 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Is anyone else getting a spongy pink algae? I've got a bit of it - nothing major but I know someone else was experiancing it. Anyone got a big problem? Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Cheers

#74 steve bridgend

steve bridgend

Diatom

• New Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

i see some run pearls with no live rock do you use any other filtration other than pearls and skimmer is it possible or do you need something to turn ammonia into nirate like ceramic media or simmilar

#75 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

i see some run pearls with no live rock do you use any other filtration other than pearls and skimmer is it possible or do you need something to turn ammonia into nirate like ceramic media or simmilar

Nope. Just pearls! simples.

#76 steve bridgend

steve bridgend

Diatom

• New Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

so the pearls will deal with ammonia.so i could set up a tank with pearls skimmer no sand bed no live rock and bassicly start stocking straight away without any worries regarding live stock seems risky

#77 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi,yes it should work and from the link on RC tank dojo has put up sounds like people are having a go at doing it this way,i used reactors with a slow through rate and pumped in air to turn them over in the past but think a reactor using a pump would turn them over better,would think if designed on a calcium reactor you would need to make sure they could not clog the flow pump?,is it likely that with a slow water feed entering the reactor things like o2 may also suppress bacteria growth on th
e pearls?.All that said its a very good way of controlling how much these medias work on a system.

I wouldnt recommend this method as there is a big risk of oxygen depletion. This would cause the bacteria to necome anaerobic. In such a case, very little phosphate would be removed in comparison to nitrates and hydrogen sulphide may also get released.

If you wanted to trickle feed the pearls, it would be better to agitate them with air in an open top reactor.

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#78 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

so the pearls will deal with ammonia.so i could set up a tank with pearls skimmer no sand bed no live rock and bassicly start stocking straight away without any worries regarding live stock seems risky

The pearls are your live rock.
Just like live rock, they provode a habotat on which the bacteria can live, but unlike live rock, they also provide the carbon necessary for growth and respiratiom.

Ammonia, nitrites and mitrates providee the nitrogen mecessary for growth and phosphates provide the phosphorous.

Sorry for the typos, fat fingers and mobile phones dont worl well together
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#79 steve bridgend

steve bridgend

Diatom

• New Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

aah cool would i have too seed the pearls if i started a tank this way or would they just start working instanly

#80 steve bridgend

steve bridgend

Diatom

• New Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

also i know that bio pellets can take the nutrients to low for corals would this effect fish in any way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users