Nuisance algae

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_indiekid22_*

Guest_indiekid22_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

Can someone please help me as I feel like giving up on my 28gal Nano which has been up and running for a wicked few months nearly now. I have nuisance algae everywhere. I brought a tuxedo urchin to get rid of it but he's not eating quick enough. I have no fish or coral's in their at the minute as I want to sort this problem out first. My water perimeters are- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate 0. Phosphate 0, kh 7.9. SG 1.025 but I haven't tested for calcium or mag yet as have ran out of kit's. Could very low calcium and mag be causing the outbreak of nuisance algae?

#2 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

It is very normal for tanks in the first six months or so to go through various alge blooms, if you have live rock it is important that it is both high quality and cured, if you currently have no live stock there is nothing stopping you from removing any undesirable alge manually. You might also try a sea hare, ( sorry but the sea hare passed away recently ) the sea hare is a good alge eater and will consume all kinds of alge most fish won't touch. Keep up the regular 10% weekly water change, only ever use RO water for both top up and water changes and get a fish in that tank to help the maturation process. Above all don't give up, this is normal every day reefing :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users