• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi just wondering if anyone could shed some light on who may be nipping my seriatopora guttatus,metallic green polyp?? I have got a feeling it could be my copperband as he is the newest fish in there and the coral seemed to be doing ok before.
My livestock consists of: Firefish,dwarf lion, regal tang, yellow tang,bangaii, pair of tomato clowns, percular clown, chromis, convict blenny, and of course the copperband.

Also i have noticed that i have a hitch-hiker crab in there (black with red eyes i think), could it be this??? and any ideas on catching the bugger??
thanks

#2 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Copperbands are generally reef safe but some do pick at corals, though it does tend to be LPS. It does of course come down to the individual fish, so you might just have to be patient and watch. TBH, once it starts to grow, it grows like a weed... I bust loads of mine every time I clean the glass, and it grows back within a few weeks and then some ;) Re the crab, just make up a bottle trap and stick some grub in it, he'll be in there before long :good:

Posted Image

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,547 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Agree with what K22 has said above,did the copperband go in to clear Aipts?.

#4 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

It's got to be that crab, I had the same problem and solved it by adding a moon light to the system via keeping my aquarays on @ 2% through the night

#5 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Agree with what K22 has said above,did the copperband go in to clear Aipts?.

No there was no reason for him going in other than i like the fish :D

#6 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

It's got to be that crab, I had the same problem and solved it by adding a moon light to the system via keeping my aquarays on @ 2% through the night

The only thing that was making me think it wasnt the crab, is because the coral is fairly new and i havnt got round to permaenantly fixing it. So its not that big and its been nipped at the top, was thinking the crab may knock it over???
the lighting through the night is a good idea though, failing removing it.

#7 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Copperbands are generally reef safe but some do pick at corals, though it does tend to be LPS. It does of course come down to the individual fish, so you might just have to be patient and watch. TBH, once it starts to grow, it grows like a weed... I bust loads of mine every time I clean the glass, and it grows back within a few weeks and then some ;) Re the crab, just make up a bottle trap and stick some grub in it, he'll be in there before long :good:

Thanks for the advice, i will look into this bottle trap. Im pretty patient as i learnt when adding a copperband after a yellow tang :sign_lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users