4 replies to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

hi all
im looking at getting some dosing salts from bio aquatek,but am a little confused as to which one to get.
what is the difference between sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate???
im looking to raise and then maintain my dkh, which keeps swinging as i buffer it up each time,via top up water and a dosing pump.
cheers john

#2 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

hi all
im looking at getting some dosing salts from bio aquatek,but am a little confused as to which one to get.
what is the difference between sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate???
im looking to raise and then maintain my dkh, which keeps swinging as i buffer it up each time,via top up water and a dosing pump.
cheers john

If you are manually dosing, you should use Bio-Alk as it is a balanced buffer. Either of the other two are likely to give you PH swings.

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#3 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

If you are manually dosing, you should use Bio-Alk as it is a balanced buffer. Either of the other two are likely to give you PH swings.

Tony.

tony
i was going to use it mixed with my top up water as its dosed slowly at regular intervals via a peri pump ie balling method.
would this work and firstly:which one sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate
and secondly is it poss to dose with your calcium flake at the same time?
cheers john

#4 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

tony
i was going to use it mixed with my top up water as its dosed slowly at regular intervals via a peri pump ie balling method.
would this work and firstly:which one sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate
and secondly is it poss to dose with your calcium flake at the same time?
cheers john

you can use either. bicarb will lower your PH temporarily and carb will raise it.
I had two concerns.
firstly, you spoke about raising it first before maintaining it via peri. This implies larger dosing and may cause PH issues.
Secondly, its fine to dose at small regular intervals if it is timed, but if you are on a float switch, any large injection of fresh water due to a change in levels may cause you issues.

I use carbonate for balling because it is dosed in small regular doses and therefore helps to absorb any excess CO2 produced by the livestock etc.

No, you cannot add Calcium chloride in the same water, as it will react with the Sodium carbonate/bicarbonate to produce salt which is ok, and calcium carbonate, which will immediately precipitate out. This is why balling uses a minimum of two dosers.

You can of course add the Calcium Chloride separately as a daily dose, in dry form, into the sump area, where it will dissolve and combine with the excess sodium, similar to balling, but not balanced.

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#5 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

ahh ok cheers for the advice tony, i will be adding it via a timed dose at regular intervals over a 24hr period,and as per your advice i will buffer up to the correct level first before useing the carbonate to maintain levels.
cheers john.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users