• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

I recently chucked out our mag cleaner after we noticed the 'wet' side was no longer water tight and to be honest it's cleaning ability had been lacking for some time. It wasn't cheap, I seem to remember around 30 or so and had good magnets in it, but it lost it's effectiveness over time. Additionally, I seem to get areas of algae on the glass which are really tough to remove, it wouldn't touch them but would still remove coralline, so I'd have to use a metal scraper to do the job which is a pita to do every couple of days.

So I started looking around and decided to try one of these off ebay....

Posted Image

...less than 20 for the 'jumbo' version and uses blades rather than the usual velcro-hooks type material.

I wasn't expecting a lot from it, but thought it was worth a shot. It came yesterday, and I'd been leaving the algae build up a bit to give it a good test, well, it's cleaning ability is truly fantastic, my pita alage doesn't stand a chance and the normal stuff just disappears, in fact I don't think the glass has looked so clean in a longtime. It's construction is pretty basic, and the magnets are just about powerful enough for my tank (10mm?), powerful enough to go around the corners without it dropping off but I wouldn't want to go swishing up and down the tank wildly with it. The old cleaner use to be really 'draggy' in use, but this just glides around easily.

Chris
Posted Image

#2 daza

daza

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

sounds good may have to puchase one of these.

#3 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Does it use a standard blade, or is it a special one only available from hobby.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#4 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

It uses a custom blade available on eBay too. I'm away for a few days so should be nicely algaed up time I get back so I might do a little video.

Chris
Posted Image

#5 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

It uses a custom blade available on eBay too. I'm away for a few days so should be nicely algaed up time I get back so I might do a little video.

Chris
Posted Image

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Chris

Looks good,will take a look at your vid chriss.

#7 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ok, so I got home late last night and found the missus had been cleaning the tank so I'll need to leave it algae up again. Darn interfering women!

Chris
Posted Image

#8 Scouse

Scouse

New Members

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

I've been using one of these for months and have found that it does eventually start scratching the glass, whether this is due to me not changing the blades often enough I dont know. Yes it gets the stubborn algae off the glass very well but would I ever use it on a new tank in the future, I'm afraid the answer is no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users