8 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Guys,

After watching the GBR series on TV at the moment on got me onto thinking about shipping corals without bags of water saving a few quid on postage I would imagine. Is it possible to wrap them damp rather than wet?

Cheers

#2 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

I heard about this a while back, apparently it's totally doable but for some reason it has never taken off commercially. What say you Jas and Linz?

#3 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Im sure it can only be done with sps and maybe lps.
But then how are you going to aclimate it at your end? When in the sea the water the tide takes out is the same when it comes back and not for any longer than 6 hours. Also the water in the bag will provide some protection during transport.

When we are paying quite alot for corals you would expect every effort to reduce any stress and death rates as possible.

#4 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

You are right in saying it can be done but there are a few problems lol,some corals don't like being out of water,Seriatopora,Gorgonians etc but on the whole most are ok.The water does add a little protection from being damaged and squashed by other corals in a box too and there is a lot of money made from the weight of the corals when shipped in water before they get to us that the shipper would lose if shipped without water.I am also unsure how the coral would do when shipped in cold conditions as the warm water helps with overall temperature within the box.
A while back i read an article on this where they transported some sps by car in a tank full of water,bagged and dry and it turned out the corals traveled better dry,but when they asked the trade about giving it a go they got a firm no.
The idea is not without risk and there is a certain way it has to be done,not going to say how as it could lead to people trying it and killing corals,can it be done,yes.
As also said above you can not acclimate the corals in the normal way so would probably need to spray them with a fine mist of water until soaked then add to the tank.

#5 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have acclimatised quite a lot of acros by letting them dry for 5-10mins forming a mucus layer and then adding to the tank they seem to do quite well like it but i am no expert

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have acclimatised quite a lot of acros by letting them dry for 5-10mins forming a mucus layer and then adding to the tank they seem to do quite well like it but i am no expert

Hi pete,have come across a good few that put sps strait in,not sure if they stand them to dry first but the idea worked for them,we acclimate over an hour but if a shipment comes in and the water is not good in the bags then strait in they go because its likely to stress them further in bad water while acclimating,hows your tank doing?.

#7 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Tank is doing ok, the idea of letting them dry was to allow the mucus to form as if they were on an exposed reef then they should acclimatise themselves as its washed away. Maybe its not a good idea as the energy on a stressed coral may tip it over

#8 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

How are my reserves doing, have they settled

#9 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi Pete

Settling lovely m8

Had there 3rd dip now and i wouls say a week or so to thicken up a little more and there be ready ,,stunning comes to mind pete

Bell me if you want m8,and dont forget we have another shipment in over the weekend

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users