• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

If anyone has any ideas why I can't grow pink/purple coraline incrusting algae in my tank I'd love to hear them. :angry:

#2 willjill

willjill

Diatom

• New Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

No idea why you can not, but when I read your thread I was wondering what would happen if the pipe was lightly sanded you took a scrapping of coraline and ground with little bit of water and painted on the prepared pipe. Liked the idea of pipe but not the pipe so thought that gardeners use yougurt painted in a similar way to get moss/lychen to grow on pots etc. to age them .Might work? be worth a offcut trial?

Good lucl

Bill

#3 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is one of the things you wish for until it's growing all over your glass. If the corals are healthy and happy, I'd call it a blessing and forget about it. Of course, if you have pipework you want to cover up, then the pink stuff is always nice. I've heard many people rave about the Kent Purple-Up...

Posted Image

#4 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have found that over time that you see less of it in high lit tanks rather that low lit say t5 tanks.Also your running a system with low nutrients and coraline algae seems to do better in tanks with a trace of Nutrient .

You may find that high lighting and low nutrients is playing a big part in not growing much in your system .

Have you got any on the glass in the sump

jas
untitled.jpg

#5 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

yep plenty in the sump Jas, and a little right at the back of the display but the urchins tuck in to that.

#6 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Points to what i said them with the added fact that the urchin also help keep it down ,,in a normal rock tank i like to see it kept down as it can reduce the rocks filtering capability.

Mind you in the pipe tank your running now it would look good

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users