• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Setting up a new tank soon as looking for advice/tips.

If you could set up a tank tomorrow what would you do differently, my thoughts so far

External weir to keep the tank looking natural
Returns thought nozzles for extra flow, probably two
central ceramic structure, lots of clear area around glass for cleaning
Live rock inside the ceramics and maybe in the sump

Then filtration, am stopping zeo but what do you think is the best regime for low phosphates?

#2 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

things i wish i did differently :-

Bigger tank, possibly a 4x2x2 or 5x3x3

bigger cabinet to house the equipment

kept on top of keeping the glass crystal clean.

used rigid piping instead of flexi

#3 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

if i had the space and money

6x5x2
external weir
hidden closed loop
remote sump area
ceramic structures
run pearls (low phosphate and nitrate)

If i think of anymore ill add lol

Posted Image

#4 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 622 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Rather than thinking

I could have a tank like that, it can't cost that much.

I would have thought,
wow that looks expensive and time consuming!

Lol

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

This is a hard one to answer for me because i can only go on what we run as tanks in the shop.the hard part is to think about things we would or members on here doing differently to improve a system,truth is i cant at this time think of much that can be improved.In my case i think one thing does stand out when planning a new system and that is access to equipment if repairs or replacements are needed.the one thing that has stood out for me over the years is keep it simple,good lighting,turnover and as open for flow to get around in the display tank as possible,tanks in the plastic and pearl thread show this well.
When talking phosphate a reactor will at some point be the answer even if running pearls unless a total balance is found when it comes to the media volume and a trace of nitrates and phosphate is present while running the pearls or pellets etc,in which case it maybe possible not to need to remove Phosphates for the most part.
We used a small amount of rock in the sumps to seed the system which was removed after a while,the reason for taking it out was that for live rock to be able to work in the display tank it needs good flow over and around it so i thought that having it in the sumps where flow would be far less could turn it into a nutrient problem at a later date,there was a huge amount of detritus in and around it when i removed it.This being the case and the fact i have never looked into the benefits of live rock as filtration in the sump,how should live rock be set up for filtration in a sump and how does it work well under less flow?.
Is your new system going to be an sps system or a mix of sps and lps?and have you decided what lights will be going over the tank?
I have seen a few tanks on different forums that have been set up with the ceramic structure idea and the few i have seen look very good,would be good to see how yours looks when you set it up.

#6 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

It will be lit by three radions, i have them over my 5x3x2 now. It will be 95% SPS, few LPS lower down in the tank. I agree about liverock in the sump, seems pointless, i have some corals on live rock so that will stay in the tank permanently, some i may just throw in for a few weeks to help the cycling.

Filtration i am just thinking of a phos reactor and maybe xenia in the sump but need to read on the xenia!

#7 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Sounds good,interesting idea on the xenia,i have heard about it being done but never seen anybody using the idea,be good to see what you find out.

#8 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

It will be lit by three radions, i have them over my 5x3x2 now. It will be 95% SPS, few LPS lower down in the tank. I agree about liverock in the sump, seems pointless, i have some corals on live rock so that will stay in the tank permanently, some i may just throw in for a few weeks to help the cycling.

Filtration i am just thinking of a phos reactor and maybe xenia in the sump but need to read on the xenia!

I would be very interested in an honest review of the Radions when you have had them for a while. I'm teetering on the edge, but having been burned once before and need to hear some good reviews of them over SPS.

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#9 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

hmm They look great and coral colours have dfinately improved, i think they lack punch for depth though. I am thinking about not going for a 4x3x2 because of this and maybe having it a little longer and shallower

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Have you been running the Radions for a long time?.

#11 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

two months Linds

#12 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

two months Linds

Just struck me lol,are we talking about the same lamp,Radium 20k?.

#13 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

lol no you misread, radions, the new vortech LED

#14 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

http://ecotechmarine...cotechs-radion/

some good par readings in this video

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

lol no you misread, radions, the new vortech LED

Cool,lol,will have to do some research into them,to date don't know a great amount about them.

#16 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

http://ecotechmarine.com/media-gallery/video/pumps-glue-and-now-leds-ecotechs-radion/

some good par readings in this video

Good link Dylan,i will be seeing how he gets on over time,good to see he has left one halide on his tank to compare performance and coral reactions to the leds,i am still on the fence when it comes to leds and sps so will follow this with great interest.
If anyone finds any more links to sps and leds that have been running long term,post them up please.

#17 Cardiff R33

Cardiff R33

Firefish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

that guy is now running two radions!

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

that guy is now running two radions!

Sounds good,is there a new link to follow the tank?.

#19 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Sounds good,is there a new link to follow the tank?.

Not had time to read it through but will.

http://www.reefcentr...d.php?t=2062544

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users