• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

hi all, ive seen this snail shell like thing attached to the base rock of one of my acros since ive had it and assumed it was an old fan worm type thing,its slowly being grown over by the acro but recently ive noticed it seems to be getting bigger and today i saw something inside it popping out and then returning as a snail would(thats the only way to describe it).
also though there seems to be spiders web like stuff around it and over the neighbouring corals it doesnt seem to bother them but is deff comming from this shell thing that draws it in i assume for caught food.
any ideas?
cheers john

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Cant remember its name right now but it looks like a snail that grows a skeleton,does not normally harm the coral but i have found then to upset sps because of the web they cast,for this reason i would remove it,i may have the id wrong but i have seen a few and they can be a problem for sps long term.

#3 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Cant remember its name right now but it looks like a snail that grows a skeleton,does not normally harm the coral but i have found then to upset sps because of the web they cast,for this reason i would remove it,i may have the id wrong but i have seen a few and they can be a problem for sps long term.

chrs m8

#4 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hi John

I think your find its a sort of caribbean worm snail that often find there way into tanks .

As Lindsay said there not a threat to corals themselves, however can cause some stress if there close to coral like (sps).
The worm snail sends out a slime like net to pick up food particles in the water and if this net keeps hitting a close coral (SPS) it can cause it to loose colour.
In some cases if there is a lot of the slime it can tip the coral over the edge till the coral bails out.

jas
untitled.jpg

#5 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Think the ID for this is a vermetid snail

Posted Image

#6 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hi John

I think your find its a sort of caribbean worm snail that often find there way into tanks .

As Lindsay said there not a threat to corals themselves, however can cause some stress if there close to coral like (sps).
The worm snail sends out a slime like net to pick up food particles in the water and if this net keeps hitting a close coral (SPS) it can cause it to loose colour.
In some cases if there is a lot of the slime it can tip the coral over the edge till the coral bails out.

jas

cheers i have noticed a loss of colour on a portion of the sps that are closest to it so out it will come.
john

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users