• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hmmm....starting to sway in your direction.

Brief update on the tank....

Been waiting to get hold of a source for CO2....gone for BOC at Pool.

Over the last 3 weeks I have been adding Bio Calcium like it is going out of fashion as the reactor is off line.

Measured pH just a few mins ago and got 8.35 (towards the end of the day, not bad!)

As said before the tank used to sit around 8.2 when the reactor was running.

This leads me to agree with the CO2 being released back into the tank......

Also noticed that the algae has slowed down a bit too...has it been feeding off the CO2 perhaps???

As I am still waiting for some CO2 it may be a good time to convert......

Come on Lindsay whats the verdict from the shop?

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#22 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Just as a bye the bye, here is a couple of shots of my yet unfinished Peri pump i'm building.
I'm waiting on a 10 turn pot from china, so that i can fine control the speed, which will go from about 30-150ml per minute on the current tubing.

The peri uses a stepping motor which will give accurate delivery and being fully ball raced, should last very well. Its a little ott but the alternatives were either rubbish or horrendously expensive.

Here is a picture of the insides showing the back of the motor, stepper driver and home designed pulse generator for speed control.

Posted Image

And on the outside you can see the peri. The silver screw allows you to adjust the occlusion, which means you can utilise different sizes of pipe. when finished, there will be a calibrated control on the front right, to adjust the speed. Its an all metal construction apart from the rollers.

Posted Image

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#23 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

For me there are good points and bad points when it comes to the large and smaller medias,as Tony has said the smaller media means more media volume melting at a higher reactor ph compared to the lower ph needed when the reactor is filled with large media but i have found the smaller media to be very unforgiving if the ph drops a little if the water feed slows down a little.If i am running with the large media i can drop the ph to around 6.20 to 6.30 and if the tank water supply slows a little it will just mean a larger amount of co2 recirculating around the reactor but if the same thing happens with the smaller media at the higher ph i start to see a milky reactor long before any co2 bubbles become visible within the reactor.
I dare say running at a lower ph with the larger media will have some impact on the tanks ph levels but if running an o2 reactor ime unsure on how much of the co2 would get through,that said i would not run a fast flow reactor without an o2 chamber in line because of the possible ph drop within the tank.
From day one i have always used the larger medias in a calcium reactor and this is my first go at running a much smaller media and its a little early to say which size i find better,i suspect it will come down to reactor stability which i know a dosing pump will help with but if i find i cant trust the smaller media then i will build a much bigger reactor and go back to larger medias.
At the end of the day i am running a 500g system filled with sps so not only do i need the reactor to perform well but if not around for a day i need to be able to trust the reactor to behave,time will tell.
Keep the dosing pump info coming,i am looking at putting one on the reactor soon.

#24 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I came in after being away for most the day to find the reactor milky yet again so i did some tests and strangely found that the dkh was around 22 and the calcium level was below 500 so why was it turning milky?odd.To be honest apart from when i first filled the reactor it has always had a very slight haziness on the effluent end which has got worse over time so i suspect that while running fast with a low contact time with the media and to keep an average dkh and calcium level it would mean the smaller media melting faster than healthy and resulting in it turning the water cloudy.I decided to empty it and refill with the larger media but leave the co2 and flow rate through the reactor at the same settings i had when running the small media and i found that the ph dropped from 6.65 on the fine media to 6.48 on the larger media and the dkh and calcium levels slightly lower with the bigger media but not by that much,may improve once the large media softens a little.I always thought that the idea of using large medias in the fast flow through reactors was because of the smaller medias slowing the recirculation within the reactor but now i think it may also be a case that the fine medias are possibly not suitable,anyway for me the larger harder media is one i can trust so i will continue to use it while i can get it.

#25 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

A quick update,have been back on the larger media for a while now and although the dkh and calcium readings are slightly lower than that of the fine media it is a lot more stable in the high flow reactor we are running with no problems with regards to melting too fast and going milky,have also started the build of a much bigger reactor which will be approx 20cm in diameter and about 3ft high,will post some pictures of it when i have finished building it.

#26 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

The build on the bigger reactor has gone well to a point,got all the flanges and so on cut and glued where needed but hit a wall when gluing parts to the extruded acrylic tube body of the reactor,thought i would be safe with Tensol 70 but should have done more research because it crazed,so am now waiting on a cast acrylic tube for the body which is said to be a much better match to the Tensol 70,fingers crossed lol.

#27 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Now got a new tube for the body of the reactor in cast,ouch a bit pricey lol,will post pics when done if all goes well lol.

#28 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 629 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Good luck buddy!

keep the picture updates comming aswell!!!

#29 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I will add them even if he co**s it up Ben lol

He better get it right as it has turned out to be an expensive play lol

jas
untitled.jpg

#30 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 629 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

LOL, Yep, Hope he has done his research this time............. :whistling:

#31 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I will add them even if he co**s it up Ben lol

He better get it right as it has turned out to be an expensive play lol

jas

Expensive play lol,you could buy me a big Schuran for 3 grand :sign_lol: .

#32 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Craze this mother and the next time your get a pop bottle to play with :sign_lol:
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users