Sign in to follow this  
Twistedpro

5 x 3 x 2 Reefbar

Difficult to say but adding 600l of NSW over a month in 200L batches made an instant difference. Within a week of the first addition i got colour back on montis and had life coming back. I did have a slight setback when i ran the phosphate media too hard but this was easily sorted. Balling may have made a difference over the calcium reactor but i am not sure.

I dont touch the tank now, however i am ready to add some more corals back in as i feel its ready for them. I really want to get some solid colour formosa stags for this. I cannot say whether come spring when i have had problems before it wont change but at the moment i am happy with how its going.

Guest lindsay

We set up the 8ft sps system on bucket salt which was ok but the first 9 months were a right pain even though we had other systems to do water changes from ,this is a thing me and jas have debated a few times,he says to be safe it is and was the best way to set up,me I would have gambled and popped down to the coast and filled her up with nsw to speed up the seeding process , at the time I too thought the bucket salt was the best way forward but looking back think nsw may have been a better way for the first fill , I think me and jas will debate this for ever lol.

To be honest i would have always gone bucket salt before, i would have always advised people to use bucket salt as well. However, not having a job with no spare cash and the sea on the door step i though it was worth a try. As i said it was an instant change with the LPS expanding more corals that looked dead coming back to life and generally everything looking better.

I would recommend it to other people but i would always say to check the source and make sure your sensible when you collect it. I have not added any since the summer due to rain run-off but i probably will next year.

Guest lindsay

Its good to hear the tanks looking better Pete ,nsw will always be a tricky one and as you have said its often down to where and when its collected ,I did read somewhere a coral company who sold all the corals and fish say that they used large amounts of nsw collected out to sea by boat and if I remember right did not process it in any way other than warming it up but said they would only use it in their soft coral ,some of their lps and fish systems but would not use it in the high colour lps and sps tanks because it would brown them out .

Guest lindsay

Its possible the wholesaler I mentioned wanted to keep nutrients at a low level so as to keep the sps at the same colour that he received them while selling them on to the shops so he opted for bucket salt.

It does seem that the use of NSW has become more popular again with some people who can get hold of it setting up on NSW for the Triton process ,does seem to be for the purpose of setting up only so not sure how they would get on if weekly water changes were done with NSW.

I think its like you have said above Pete ,its worth being careful where a person collects it from .

I've been using NSW for years, have set tanks up on it and I have used it for water changes. I have never had any problems tbh, as long as the collection and actual usage methods are correct.

I've been using NSW for years, have set tanks up on it and I have used it for water changes. I have never had any problems tbh, as long as the collection and actual usage methods are correct.

And what would the correct methods be?

And what would the correct methods be?

Collection - from a clean site without run off or sewage outlets nearby. Not collecting during or after prolonged spells of rain. Not near any harbours or areas of frequent boating use.

Usage - Run through a few filter socks or the like to removed fines. Stored in air tight containers, preferably away from light. Brought to temperature before use and parameters matched to dt.

Being honest all common sense really, I've never found I have to go over and above when using nsw.

Guest lindsay

Looking good Pete, whats the monty on the left side that looks quite big ,looks to be encrusting and plating.

New Year, same shit, after a good end to last year i have had a re-occurrence of the SPS problems with 5 frags deciding to strip from the tips in the last week. I really wish i could pinpoint what is causing this as the calcium, magnesium, Alk, Ph salinity have all stayed stable. I have not made any additions. The only change was the phosphate media which was yesterday and the level started to increase this week, however this has been replaced with a very slow flow. The DkH has increased slightly from 8 to 8.2 in the last week but i would imagine this is because growth has stopped.

I have not been able to carry out a NSW water change as the weather has been too bad with road runoff etc. I do feel i am banging my head on a brick wall. I only dose the balling elements and food into the tank :mad::mad::censored2::surrender:

Guest lindsay

Feel for you m8, its crazy, shot in the dark from me ,pop out and get a Salifert phosphate test kit and if reading lower or around 0.03 then take off all phosphate media for a while, you may think 0.03 or 0.04 to be too high but it should be fine after all Triton took theirs off the other week and were running at 0.04 with a tank full of sps.

Guest lindsay

That's quite close to the results of the Salifert m8,i was a little generous when testing the mag and potassium so may have been even closer had I been more critical but still not bad being hobbyist test kits,will look into calcium test kit though as I made it higher than the above which is a bit of a concern lol.

I think i will be removing this system, it has never run properly/ been run properly so am thinking on going to a 3x3x2 or 30" cube. If anyone know of any tank breakdowns i would be interested

I have been thinking about this, and am after some opinions. To keep the achillies i will need a tank of the same dimensions and the best course would be to keep the current tank.

What i am thinking is to strip the current tank down and remove the closed loop. Then decommission the outside system and bring this inside and build a sump under the current tank. For this i am thinking of going down the lines of a mud sump and skimmer with phosphate media and balling.

I need to solve the humidity problem and for this i can see the only solution is to put a lid over the current tank. I was thinking i could put some fans and vent the air outisde using the holes i currently have for the piping. Would be interested to hear on your opinions

Guest lindsay

When I read the post above about going smaller I did wonder about the achillies you have , all sounds good on the change around and closed loop shut down with under tank sump, not sure what to say about the humidity , there have been some threads on the subject on UR not long ago ,think dehumidifiers and another new idea of something you put in the loft that re circulates the air to cure the issue, not looked at it but some recommend it .

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Twistedpro said:

I have had a bit of a reboot with the tank, looking for the following

FB_IMG_1519806546230.jpg

Hi m8, yeah me too that's a stunner .