Sign in to follow this  
Guest lindsay

Skimming experiment.

Very interesting. May try reducing time skimmer is running. Only issue is the change in sump level when skimmer is on will mess with the auto top up. will try running 3 hours on and 3 hours off.

Edited by MysticWave_2

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

Yeah it is interesting what effects were seen in the different tanks from skimmed to partly skimmed compared to fully skimmed , you could say if while skimming 24/7 you are seeing little collected why not try cutting the skimming time to say 12 hours ,is it possible any build up will be taken out to the same level in 12 hours as it would with a skimmer doing 24 hours?, for me though there is another more interesting point on skimming 24/7 and that is what impact does it have on bacterial levels? the link below suggests skimming removes a good amount of the bacterial count in a marine tank and if I understand it correctly mainly one type of the bacteria found in our tanks, does this skew things if we are skimming 24/7 when we may possibly get away happily with skimming 12 hours if there is only a small amount being skimmed out, if on the other hand you half fill a cup in two to three days on your skimmer it likely means either you feed a lot or skimmer is balanced perfectly size wise for your tank, or perhaps a little too small for your tank, either way I would not suggest cutting its hours on if you are collecting a lot in 24 hours.

Its worth reading the parts at the bottom of this link with regards to bacteria removal via skimming.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

Set my skimmer for 3 hours on and 3 hours off last night. Normally over the course of week my skimmer has a little quite wet skimmate. Came home from work today and it was twice as much darker skimmate over just the day. My skimmer is massively over rated and adds microbubbles to the tank. Turning the skimmer off for times when I normally want to be looking at the tank is great. There is certainly something to this. Will continue with the test.

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

I have been running ours over night and turned down in the day, turned down so small amount of air to off set calcium reactor co2 but not anywhere near enough air to do any skimming, on third day like this and have found the skimmer is collecting in 12hrs about the same it would in 24 hours which does not surprise me to be honest , our first sps system ran skimmer less for a few years before we added a skimmer and all was fine until a bad batch of phyto , this prompted us to add a skimmer which at the time would have helped but other than the phyto problem all was good without a skimmer to be honest.

Have you any before and after pics m8,, very interesting stuff this

Makes you wonder what we are taking out of the systems skimming to hard and what other benefits there are to the system than just a cleaner tank

Jas

Sadly not got any pics of before or after, but had rampant hair algae growing on the sand. It was very thick and green and getting long. Now it is thinning out and gone more brown. In terms of skimmate, I have not emptied the skimmer since I started this experiment. So in a week, I have half a cup of dark stinky skimmate. That's a deltec sc1445 on a 2ft cube with only 2 fish.

Is it possible to have too much dissolved oxygen in the water?

Will have a look for pictures but likely to be bad phone shots

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

Could be a case of newish system with small amount of stocking and efficient skimming 24/7 was in some way hampering the maturing process within you tank biologically and creating an environment that the hair algae could take full advantage of, or while the skimmer is off things can build up a little in the tank making for more efficient skimming when the skimmer comes on and removing more than when trying to skim 24/7 with a biggish skimmer.

Its hard to say out of the two possibilities which is correct but it does make you wonder if skimming 24/7 can have negatives as well as positives, that all said a lot will depend on fish stocking levels.

manual doesnt say anything about mounting. guy in shop said they can be mounted vertically. if i can find a decent plastic or acrylic shelf I might try and fit horizontal, but very limited on space. sump is not as big as it looks

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

Interesting, perhaps with less skimming the tanks maturing better in some way.The algae dying off may be whats increasing skimmer activity ,time will tell.

AhmedR    0

What I do think is that due to the indescrimnate nature of skimming we extract beneficial and undesirable elements from the water column. I for one I am to eventually run skimmer only 8 hours a day.

If you look at the zeovit system which is one I do rate as successful system minus the holding of corals near death for ultra high colour. Zeovit gone down to the granularity of suggesting impeller needle skimmers are the most aggressive and a negative impact on the system due to the ability to over skim the bacterial load they introduce to the water column.

My approach to anything reefing is try to adopt a holistic approach and utilise the methodologies that provide you with a logical reasoning for the action. Nutrient export should not rely on a single point of failure such as only skimming in my eyes I take risk based approach to this and layer export

- Skimming

- CUC

- Algae bed

- Algae scrubber

- glass sintered beads (siporax)

- prior to water change a quick ruffle of the sand bed in display

- prior to water change a quick blast over the LR display with baster

- prior to water change clear bottom of sump

- prior to water change a power filter for 24 hours

- water change min 10%

I think we are victims of our desire at times to be lazy, I have a skimmer and because it is easy to use its all I want to do.

imho

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

You have a good routine and nutrient export listed above ,far too often people try to remove an algae by lowering nutrient level in an attempt to starve it out which in the end results in a tank suffering when all was needed was something to eat the algae, and how about a bit of regular removal by hand lol.

We skim over night at the moment.

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

So after a few weeks of not skimming 24/7 we are seeing richer colours and more of a surprise a drop in nitrates and phosphates which I will carry on monitoring to see if this is just a coincidence.

interesting stuff. I uppped the skimmer ON time to 8 hours in two chunks. midnight till 05:00 and then 09:00 till midday. mainly do I dont see the microbubbles in the tank when lights are on, and because 6 hours I think was too short as phosohates crept up a bit. All looking OK still which is good

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

We are skimming from 6pm to 9am and are collecting about the same as we were when skimming 24/7.

Guest lindsay   
Guest lindsay

Skimming over night only for roughly a month now and so far alls good. I have done regular nitrate and phosphate tests on both the lps and sps systems and the levels are very close.

The sps system has appeared to have reached a nitrate level of 0.02 which is down from the usual level of 1 and the phosphate level is 0.01 which is down from the usual level of 0.02 to 0.03, these are readings I have been recording regularly over the last 2 to 3 weeks with an increase in fish feeding and daily coral feeding which makes me think that skimming 24/7 was definitely removing something beneficial from the sps system.

The lps system has nitrate level of 0.02 down from 4 and a phosphate level of less than 0.01 down from 0.02 but it is likely the phosphate level has slightly dipped below 0.01 because I still had a phosphate reactor running which is present to hold a level of 0.02 and has now been turned off, being I did not expect a drop in nitrate and phosphate levels by cutting skimming to nights only I overlooked the phosphate reactor which is now turned off.

All test done with Salifert test kits and I will carry on skimming overnight only and update this thread as to further results.

lindsay    0

Its been a while now and so far the nitrate and phosphate levels on both systems remain low with good coral colours , I dropped feeding the corals for a week or so and this had no effect on the levels so will likely go back to coral feeding again, other than an increase on the dusting of algae you get on the glass panels of the tank and faster algae growth within the tank alls still going well with only roughly 12 hours skimming overnight.

Yes it is looking good so far,, maybe keep an eye on the Iodine as a lot dose a little over the top as they know skinning will take a lot of iodine out and with half the skim time less iodine taken out ,,only a guess though as maybe the extra bacteria left will take care of this.

Great experiment guys keep the updates rolling in

jas

Had to go to 24 hour skimming. Think due to pollen as had massive algae bloom. Change in temp also made skimmer wet skim, so have backed it off a bit and all seem a lot better.

Will back it off when the pollen reduces.

lindsay    0

Cool, we are still on night time skimming only and all seems fine at the moment, I will do another test for phosphate and nitrate to see if the readings have changed and will post up the results in a day or two.

Blacktip    0

I've been thinking about this lately and was wondering if I could implement it on my reef system. I've tried it on a soft coral/fish system and not seen any negative effects. My system has a sump that is outside my house and runs pearls. I don't want to turn the skimmer off because of the pearls but was thinking about shuting off the return pump to the display tank for few hours each day. Advantages of this would be that the display would run without the skimmer for a while, I could feed the corals more effectively and would save a few quid on running the return pump. My concerns are temp drop, ware on the pump being switched on/off and also what effect would be had on the corals when the sump is reconnected bring in water that has had the calcium reactor running.

Any thoughts - worth giving it a go?